Judith A. Perritano is the Managing Partner of Pierce Davis & Perritano LLP.
Ms. Perritano is a highly skilled litigator with 30 years of extensive experience in the defense and trial of a wide variety of cases ranging from complex, high risk cases involving products liability and exposure to asbestos and other toxic torts to those involving general negligence and dram shop liability. She is involved in all phases of litigation in both state and federal court, from factual investigation through discovery, motion practice, trials and appeals. Ms. Perritano is counsel to numerous asbestos clients in New England. Additionally, as national coordinating counsel for a product manufacturer in the asbestos litigation, Ms. Perritano manages and directs discovery, expert development and trial preparation nationwide.
- Tried a number of cases to verdict in the areas of products liability, toxic exposure/sick building, liquor liability, motor vehicle, slip and fall, and elevator/escalator claims. Participated in various stages of trial in numerous other cases that ultimately resolved prior to verdict, including cases in the areas of products liability, construction, eminent domain, and general negligence claims. Damages tried include the entire personal injury spectrum, wrongful death and property damage. Also acted as lead counsel in asbestos trials in Massachusetts that have resolved favorably before verdict.
- Well-versed in the steps necessary to mount a successful defense, including the applicable legal and factual arguments to be developed for a wide variety of manufacturers and distributors with a keen understanding of the approaches, positions, and arguments put forth by opposing counsel.
- Responsible for developing plaintiff and witness deposition strategies that lead to in-depth and effective cross-examinations at trial, including conducting depositions of plaintiffs’ and defense experts and preparing Daubert motions and motions in limine on key issues, such as one fiber, sufficiency of expert testimony and no duty to warn.
- Member of appellate teams involved in formulating appeal strategies and briefings in state and federal courts nationwide, including O’Neil v. Crane Co., 266 P.3d 987 (Cal. 2012), which was a landmark high-court decision regarding no liability for products made and sold by others. Ms. Perritano is also well-versed in the proper preservation of issues at trial for appeal.
Ms. Perritano is frequently invited to speak on topics related to products liability and toxic torts. She has been named to The Best Lawyers in America© list 2018 and the Massachusetts Super Lawyers list annually since 2009, as well as the 2017 and 2018 Top 50 Women New England Super Lawyers lists.
In 1998, Ms. Perritano co-founded Pierce Davis & Perritano LLP. She began her law practice in 1988 with the Boston firm of Morrison, Mahoney & Miller, where she became a partner in 1995.
- Carreiro v. Main Machinery, 68 F.3d 1443 (1st Cir. 1995)
Awards & Honors:
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© list 2018-2019
- Selected to Massachusetts Super Lawyers list, 2006–2007, 2009–2018
- Selected to Massachusetts Super Lawyers’ Top 50 Women List, 2013, 2015, 2017-2018
- Selected to Massachusetts Super Lawyers’ Top 100 List, 2017
- Martindale-Hubbell National Law Directory, AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating
- DRI Defense Lawyers Asbestos Symposium, “Defense Strategies in a Post-OSHA Gasket and Packing Case,” Speaker (November 7, 2018)
- Defense Asbestos Litigation Seminar, “Emerging Issues in Asbestos and Talc Science in the Courtroom,” Panelist (June 27, 2018)
- Defense Asbestos Litigation Seminar, “An Overview of Recent Decisions That Impact the Asbestos Litigation,” Speaker (June 27, 2018)
- The Knowledge Group, “Product Liability Litigation: Comprehensive Guide and Strategies for Manufacturers,” Co-Presenter, Webinar (December 19, 2017)
- DRI Defense Lawyers Asbestos Symposium, “Defending Take Home Exposure Cases,” Speaker (November 1, 2017)
- The Knowledge Group, “Product Liability Litigation – Significant Issues to Watch For in 2017,” Co-Speaker, Webinar (April 27, 2017)
- The Knowledge Group, “Understanding the Effects of Sequenced Discovery in Mass Tort Litigation,” Co-Speaker, Webinar (November 23, 2015; September 9, 2016)
- DRI Asbestos Medicine Seminar, “Where There’s Smoke, There’s Fire: Hot New Issues in the Lung Cancer Debate,” Co-speaker (November 5, 2015)
- HB Litigation, “Recent Appellate Decisions and Pending Appeals,” Co-Speaker (June 21, 2012)
- DRI Asbestos Medicine Seminar, “Asbestos Litigation Now and In the Future – A Panel of Inside and Outside Coordinating Counsel,” Panel Moderator (November 10, 2011)
- HB Litigation, “Take Home Asbestos Exposure,” Co-Speaker (October 3, 2011)
- HB Litigation, “Judicial Session: Early Intervention,” Panel Member, October 6, 2010 Massachusetts Association of Trial Lawyers, Mock Voir Dire Training Program, Co-Speaker (January 14, 2010)
- DRI Asbestos Medicine Seminar, “Replacement Parts, External Insulation and Component Parts,” Co-Speaker, November 12, 2009 DRI Asbestos Medicine Seminar, “The Sophisticated User Doctrine in Cases Involving Naval Exposure,” Co-Speaker (November 6, 2008)
- Author, PDP Toxic Torts Alerts, recent topics include: “Liability for Products Manufactured and Sold by Others,” “Each and Every Exposure Theory,” and “The Duty to “Take Home” Exposure Plaintiffs”
- Author, “Recent Decisions in 3 Key Areas that Impact the Asbestos Litigation,” DALS, June 2018
- “Sophisticated User Doctrine in Cases Involving Naval Exposure,” DRI Asbestos Medicine Seminar, November 6, 2008
- “International Liability for Nuclear Pollution,” Vol. XI Suffolk Transnational Law Journal, p. 76 (Fall 1987); Product Liability—Claims/Defense/Trial (1997)
- “Attorney Conduct at Depositions—An Overview,” MBA Civil Litigation Section News, October, 1995
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Judith Perritano to Present at DRI Defense Lawyers Asbestos Symposium
- PDP Celebrates its 20th Anniversary!
- Judith Perritano Selected to the 2019 Best Lawyers List
- Toxic Torts Alert: Liability for Products Manufactured and Sold by Others (the “Bare Metal” Defense)
- Judith Perritano to Present at Defense Asbestos Litigation Seminar – DALS|2018
- Judy Perritano and Meghan Riordan Named to Top 50 Women Lawyers List
- PDP Clothing Drive to Help Women Re-entering the Workforce Dress for Success
- Judith Perritano to Speak at TKG’s Product Liability Litigation: Comprehensive Guide and Strategies for Manufacturers LIVE Webcast December 19, 2017
- Pierce Davis & Perritano Ranked in U.S. News 2018 Best Law Firms
- Pierce Davis & Perritano Attorneys Named to Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Star Lists
Suffolk University Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1988
Clark University, B.A., 1985
Bar & Court Admissions
Commonwealth of Massachusetts (1988)
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts (1990)
U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit (1995)