Judith A. Perritano is a Founding Partner of Pierce Davis & Perritano, a Boston- based full service civil litigation and trial firm founded in 1998.
Ms. Perritano is a highly skilled litigator with more than 30 years of extensive experience in the defense and trial of a wide variety of cases ranging from complex, high risk cases involving products liability and exposure to asbestos and other toxic torts to those involving general negligence and dram shop liability. She has been involved in all phases of litigation in both state and federal court, from factual investigation through discovery, motion practice, trials, and appeals.
- Tried a number of cases to verdict in the areas of products liability, toxic exposure/sick building, liquor liability, motor vehicle, slip and fall, and elevator/escalator claims. Participated in various stages of trial in numerous other cases that ultimately resolved prior to verdict, including cases in the areas of products liability, construction, eminent domain, and general negligence claims. Damages tried include the entire personal injury spectrum, wrongful death and property damage. Also acted as lead counsel in asbestos trials in Massachusetts that have resolved favorably before verdict.
- Well-versed in the steps necessary to mount a successful defense, including the applicable legal and factual arguments to be developed for a wide variety of manufacturers and distributors with a keen understanding of the approaches, positions, and arguments put forth by opposing
- Responsible for developing plaintiff and witness deposition strategies that lead to in-depth and effective cross-examinations at trial, including conducting depositions of plaintiffs’ and defense experts and preparing Daubert motions and motions in limine on key issues, such as one fiber, sufficiency of expert testimony and no duty to warn.
- Counsel to numerous asbestos clients in Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island. In addition to acting as trial counsel, she has also conducted countless expert depositions and prepared and argued Daubert and other motions on key defense issues. Additionally, as a member of the Executive Committee, she helps shape the course of the Massachusetts asbestos litigation. Further, in her role as National Coordinating Counsel for a product manufacturer, she manages and directs discovery, develops key experts, and is involved in trial preparation and appeals in asbestos cases pending in state and federal courts Through this considerable experience, she has become intimately familiar with the approaches, positions and arguments put forth in the asbestos litigation nationally.
Ms. Perritano is frequently invited to speak on topics related to products liability and toxic torts. She has been named to several peer-reviewed lists, including The Best Lawyers in America©, Massachusetts Super Lawyers, and New England Super Lawyers.
She began her law practice in 1988 with the Boston firm of Morrison, Mahoney & Miller, where she became a partner in 1995.
- Carreiro v. Main Machinery, 68 F.3d 1443 (1st Cir. 1995)
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- The Knowledge Group, “Tort Claims and COVID-19: Preventive Measures Employers Should Know and Do,” Speaker, Webinar (October 27, 2020)
- DRI Defense Lawyers Asbestos Symposium, “Defense Strategies in a Post- OSHA Gasket and Packing Case,” Speaker (November 7, 2018)
- Defense Asbestos Litigation Seminar, “Emerging Issues in Asbestos and Talc Science in the Courtroom,” Panelist (June 27, 2018)
- Defense Asbestos Litigation Seminar, “An Overview of Recent Decisions That Impact the Asbestos Litigation,” Speaker (June 27, 2018)
- The Knowledge Group, “Product Liability Litigation: Comprehensive Guide and Strategies for Manufacturers,” Speaker, Webinar (December 19, 2017)
- DRI Defense Lawyers Asbestos Symposium, “Defending Take Home Exposure Cases,” Speaker (November 1, 2017)
- The Knowledge Group, “Product Liability Litigation – Significant Issues to Watch For in 2017,” Co-Speaker, Webinar (April 27, 2017)
- The Knowledge Group, “Understanding the Effects of Sequenced Discovery in Mass Tort Litigation,” Speaker, Webinar (November 23, 2015; September 9, 2016)
- DRI Asbestos Medicine Seminar, “Where There’s Smoke, There’s Fire: Hot New Issues in the Lung Cancer Debate,” Speaker (November 5, 2015)
- HB Litigation, “Recent Appellate Decisions and Pending Appeals,” Speaker (June 21, 2012)
- DRI Asbestos Medicine Seminar, “Asbestos Litigation Now and In the Future – A Panel of Inside and Outside Coordinating Counsel,” Panel Moderator (November 10, 2011)
- HB Litigation, “Take Home Asbestos Exposure,” Speaker (October 3, 2011)
- HB Litigation, “Judicial Session: Early Intervention,” Panel Member, October 6, 2010 Massachusetts Association of Trial Lawyers, Mock Voir Dire Training Program, Speaker (January 14, 2010)
- DRI Asbestos Medicine Seminar, “Replacement Parts, External Insulation and Component Parts,” Speaker (November 12, 2009)
- DRI Asbestos Medicine Seminar, “The Sophisticated User Doctrine in Cases Involving Naval Exposure,” Speaker (November 6, 2008)
- Author, PDP Toxic Torts Alerts, topics include: “Liability for Products Manufactured and Sold by Others,” “Each and Every Exposure Theory,” and “The Duty to “Take Home” Exposure Plaintiffs”
- Author, “Recent Decisions in 3 Key Areas that Impact the Asbestos Litigation,” DALS, June 2018
- “Sophisticated User Doctrine in Cases Involving Naval Exposure,” DRI Asbestos Medicine Seminar, November 6, 2008
- “International Liability for Nuclear Pollution,” XI Suffolk Transnational Law Journal, p. 76 (Fall 1987); Product Liability—Claims/Defense/Trial (1997)
- “Attorney Conduct at Depositions—An Overview,” MBA Civil Litigation Section News, October, 1995
Awards & Honors:
- Selected for The Best Lawyers in America© List, 2018-2021
- Selected for Massachusetts Super Lawyers List, 2006, 2009-2021
- Selected for Massachusetts Super Lawyers Top 50 Women List, 2013, 2015, 2017-2021
- Selected for New England Super Lawyers Top 50 Women List, 2017
- Selected for Massachusetts Super Lawyers Top 100 List, 2017
- Martindale-Hubbell National Law Directory, AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating
- PDP Partners Judith Perritano and John Davis Named to 2021 Best Lawyers® List
- Judith Perritano Selected to the 2020 Best Lawyers List
- Judith Perritano to Present at DRI Defense Lawyers Asbestos Symposium
- PDP Celebrates its 20th Anniversary!
- Judith Perritano Selected to the 2019 Best Lawyers List
- Toxic Torts Alert: Liability for Products Manufactured and Sold by Others (the “Bare Metal” Defense)
- Judith Perritano to Present at Defense Asbestos Litigation Seminar – DALS|2018
- Judy Perritano and Meghan Riordan Named to Top 50 Women Lawyers List
- PDP Clothing Drive to Help Women Re-entering the Workforce Dress for Success
- Judith Perritano to Speak at TKG’s Product Liability Litigation: Comprehensive Guide and Strategies for Manufacturers LIVE Webcast December 19, 2017
Suffolk University Law School, J.D., cum laude (1988)
Clark University, B.A. (1985)
Bar & Court Admissions
Commonwealth of Massachusetts (1988)
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts (1990)
U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit (1995)
State of Connecticut (2019)